Friday 24 April 2015

My Week in Breakfasts #1


Hey everyone,

As mentioned, I will be incorporating more posts about healthy eating into my blog from now on. I thought breakfast would be a good place to start as I LOVE breakfast. No, really, I'm slightly obsessed with it. I go to sleep at night counting down the hours until the sun rises...and I can jump out of bed and run to the kitchen. Ok, maybe not run, more like hobble but...you get the idea. Breakfast, woo!

So, what does the girl who loves breakfast actually eat for breakfast? In this post I will be showing you what I ate everyday in the morning for the working week just gone...

MONDAY






On Monday I was out pretty much all day so I decided to go for something that would keep me full for a long time - scrambled eggs. Eggs are much better at keeping you full than any cereal, breakfast bar or coffee. There are so many ways to make them as well, which is a truly beautiful thing *sniffs*

I whisked the eggs and added a little bit of semi-skimmed milk as well as pepper to them, then placed the mixture into the saucepan and stirred until they were ready. At the same time, I toasted a pitta bread from the Food Doctor, which contained lots of different seeds and was a little bit more interesting and healthy than having plain toast.

Because I normally have fruit for breakfast, I skipped tea and made a refreshing mango and banana smoothie instead. All I used was a banana, frozen mango chunks and almond milk. One cup of the frozen mango chunks and a cup and a half of the milk was enough for two people, so I saved the rest for another time.


TUESDAY



On Tuesday I had work, so I needed a breakfast that would give me slow-release energy. I eat porridge most days but I always mix up the toppings. On this occasion, I used a cup of oats and one and a half cups of semi-skimmed milk. I placed the milk and oats on the hob and once ready, added honey as a natural sweetener. I then topped the porridge with a banana, a handful of blueberries and some raisins. I always like mixing fresh and dried fruit as well as nuts sometimes, just because variety is the spice of life, y'know?!

I also had some green tea with my breakfast. I usually have green tea every morning, pretty much out of habit, but it's also good for you and is said to have lots of health benefits.


WEDNESDAY



On Wednesday I had a bit more time on my hands than usual, so I made porridge AND a fruit salad. Because of this, I kept the porridge pretty simple. Again, I used oats and semi-skimmed milk, and once it was ready I simply added the honey and also sprinkled some cinnamon over it. Cinnamon is a fantastic spice because it is loaded with anti-oxidants and is very good at helping to prevent many different illnesses and conditions. It also tastes great! Just be careful not to add TOO much, however.

For the fruit salad, I used a banana, two slices of melon and a tangerine. I didn't add any sort of juice to it just because I didn't want to add any extra sugars; the fruit tasted lovely as it was.

This was probably my favourite breakfast!


THURSDAY



Thursday was a bit of a cheat day! A family friend cooked myself and my Dad brunch, however I wanted to have something when I got up, just because I got up quite early. I tried a toasted pitta, again from the Food Doctor, with this amazing peanut butter and chocolate spread from Reese's. I'm absolutely obsessed with Reese's and bought loads of chocolate back from America, haha. This was such a good combinations as the spread melted slightly from the heat of the pitta...guys, it was just delish. Maybe not the healthiest thing ever, but to compensate I had two slices of melon and my usual green tea!


FRIDAY



This morning, I was a bit indecisive so decided to stick to porridge. However, I changed up the ingredients again. I put a cup of oats, a cup and a half of semi-skimmed milk and a tablespoon of smooth peanut butter into a pan and placed that on the hob. Once the oats were bubbling, I added a mashed banana and stirred, making sure the heat was turned down considerably. Once the porridge was ready, I drizzled some honey over it to give it a little bit of sweetness. This was really filling and hearty and it was good to have the fruit actually incorporated into the porridge rather than just sitting on top.


Thank you for reading!

Rhi x


No comments:

Post a Comment